RE: What is missing in accessible design?

by tom mcCain <tom(at)crittur.com>

 Date:  Mon, 18 Mar 2002 06:49:49 -0500
 To:  Shelley Watson <shelley(at)internavigate.com>,
aware-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Thank you, Shelley,

>The challenge then, is to design a website that has "conceptual design" as
>well as accessibility (?)  Why should that be out of the reach of the
>web-design community?

It doesn't have to be. It is, however, what is missing in accessible
design and that was the point of my response to Kukla Fran and
Ollie's question.

For years, accessible design discussion groups have had periodic
topics about how it is possible to have visually compelling sites
that are quite functional and fully accessible -- the point being to
demonstrate that accessible design does not have to mean "dumbed
down" or "designed to the lowest common denominator." The examples
that get cited always fall short of the mark -- my opinion -- and the
result has been that we have not proven the point to the larger
audience of web designers and web surfers. That's a great failing of
the accessible design movement -- again, my opinion.

When we have these discussions, we often lapse into the perspective
that our preference for web sites ought to be everyone's preference.
That just isn't the way things are.

Hope that helps.

. . / tom mcCain

tom(at)crittur.com